The Global Center on Adaptation offers internships through its Young Leaders Program. Young Leaders work on issues surrounding a new global climate adaptation agenda. Interns contribute to policy, advocacy, and research efforts that help societies across the world become more resilient to climate-related threats.
The internship takes place in the Netherlands at the premises of the Global Center on Adaptation, in Rotterdam and/or in Groningen. For a period of four months, Young Leaders work independently and with a team of experts on different assignments in an international and diverse environment.
A tailored educational experience
Each Young Leader receives an individual assignment matched with their existing skills and expertise. Young Leaders are individually responsible for the timely completion of their assignments, with the support of supervisors. All assignments are designed to support our vision and mission.
During the four months, Young Leaders can expect to enhance their understanding of climate change adaptation, and what it takes to drive forward a new global agenda. They gain experiences that enable them to consider a wide range of perspectives and connect different points of view, and develop interpersonal and leadership skills that are essential for excelling in challenging international environments.
The Young Leaders Program is open to all candidates currently enrolled in a graduate program from a variety of fields in the social sciences, sciences and sustainability.
To be eligible for an internship, candidates must:
- Have an undergraduate degree
- Be enrolled in a graduate study program (pursuing a Master’s or PhD) or have graduated within 6 months of application
- Have a solid understanding of international development and climate change adaptation issues
- Have demonstrable leadership potential
- Be fluent in English. Additional knowledge of other languages such as Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, French, Russian, Portuguese is desirable.
- The organization values diversity and encourages all qualified individuals with a diverse professional and academic background, particularly women, to apply. The aim is to attract and recruit the best talent from any region in the world.
The Global Center on Adaptation provides a monthly compensation, determined by interns’ country of residence. Travel expenses related to program activities are reimbursed, except to and from The Netherlands.
IMPORTANT: Interns are entirely responsible for their own living costs such as accommodation, health insurance and visa, if applicable.
The Young Leaders Program is currently open for applications for the period of October 14th, 2019 – January 31st, 2020.
Deadline for applying is August 25th, 2019, 21:00 (CET). The Selection Committee aims to communicate the decision to applicants by September 13th, 2019.
Please apply via the form here. Only applications submitted with this form will be considered.
For more information about this opportunity, visit the official website here.