UNCDF makes public and private finance work for the poor in the world’s 47 least developed countries. With its capital mandate and instruments, UNCDF offers ‘last mile’ finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support local economic development.
- UNCDF’s financing models work through two channels : financial inclusion that expands the opportunities for individuals, households, and small businesses to participate in the local economy, providing them with the tools they need to climb out of poverty and manage their financial lives;
and by showing how localized investments through fiscal decentralization, innovative municipal finance, and structured project finance can drive public and private funding that underpins local economic expansion and sustainable development.
By strengthening how finance works for poor people at the household, small enterprise, and local infrastructure levels, UNCDF contributes to SDG 1 on eradicating poverty and SDG 17 on the means of implementation.
By identifying those market segments where innovative financing models can have transformational impact in helping to reach the last mile and address exclusion and inequalities of access, UNCDF contributes to a number of different SDGs.
Position Context : UNCDF Management Support Unit (MSU) is based in UNCDF Headquarters, New York along with out-posted staff across regional offices and multiple country locations.
MSU team works to enhance the institutional effectiveness of UNCDF through operational solutions, development of management policies, prescriptive content, and overall management of all operational, resource management and financial aspects of the organization.
- MSU oversees policy adherence, safeguarding UNCDF and Executive Secretary’s accountability while providing advisory, transactional services and support to UNCDF in its core functional areas of accounts and finance;
human resources; operations and procurement; and information technology.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions :
Under the supervision of the Regional Operations Manager, the Regional Operations Associate G7 will provide a wide range of programme and operational support services and ensure full compliance of UNCDF regional programme operations with the UNCDF operational framework in line with the UN / UNDP rules, regulations and policies.
The detailed roles and responsibilities are outlined below :
Ensures implementation of operational strategies
Provision of procurement support to East Africa & Asia Portfolio Country Offices
Ensures effective administrative and financial control in the office.
Provision of logistical support to East Africa & Asia Portfolio Country Offices
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results :
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UNDP / UNCDF rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
Provision of inputs to the business processes mapping and elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Administration and Logistics in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management
Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultations with office management.
Provision of procurement support to Country Offices focuses on achievement of the following results :
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UNDP / UNCDF rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to preparation of procurement plans for the office and inserting them in UNCDF Intranet;
- Procurement of travel services, workshop arrangements, goods and services for Country Office;
- Issuing Purchase orders and communication with vendors about the status of orders;
Minimum seven 7 years of progressively responsible administrative or Operations experience is required at the national or international level.
Specialized training in office management and administration is highly desirable.
Experience with a UN organization / agency is desirable.
Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
Candidates having Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, will require a minimum of four years of relevant work experience.
First University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political or Social Sciences or related fields would be highly desirable, but it is not a requirement.