You have sent out many applications and you have been invited for several interviews, but your dream job remains elusive. In this article, we give you some tips to help you prepare for the interview and to help you land your dream job.
Before the interview:
- Make sure that you have information about the organisation you are applying to and the specific role you are applying for. You might want to find out what challenges the organisation is experiencing and how these can be addressed, and the mission, vision and values of the organisation.
- Reflect about how your skills, educational background and your passion fit the job or the organisation’s purpose.
- Find out how many people will be on the interview panel. If you can, do some research about them.
- Get current information about the sector you are applying for. It could be health, education or agriculture.
- Plan to arrive 10 minutes early. Make sure that you know the exact address of the interview venue. If you are not sure, ask.
- Decide what you will wear. Suits or business styles are the best options. Pick out comfortable shoes and make sure that they are clean and in good condition. Make sure that your hair is clean and neat.
- Get enough sleep.
- Make a list of possible interview questions and practice how you will respond to them. You could practice before a friend and ask for feedback.
- Arrive on time.
- Have your application letter, CV and testimonials with you.
- Listen carefully and give relevant answers. Do not be tempted to give unnecessary examples which might take you off course.
- Pay attention to other communication cues such as eye contact and positive body language. Your tone of voice should sound enthusiastic; this does not mean that you should shout.
- Do not wear heavy perfumes and sprays as these can be irritating to some people to the extent of causing allergies.
- During the interview, do not readjust your clothes (ties, shirts, skirt), cross your legs and shaking one over the other. Make sure the clothes you wear are comfortable.
- Do not be too early as you might get in the way of office work.
- Do not rush into answering questions. Give yourself time to think carefully about the question before answering. If you do not understand a question, seek clarity.For interview coaching services and related products, do not hesitate to contact us.