The objective of the ABE Initiative master’s degree and internship program is to support young personnel who have the potential to contribute to the development of industries in Africa. This program offers opportunities for young African men and women to study at master’s courses in Japanese universities as international students (hereafter referred to as participants) and experience internships at Japanese enterprises. The aim is for them to develop effective skills in order for them to contribute to various fields. Beyond acquisition of skills and knowledge, this program also intends to cultivate excellent personnel who can recognize and understand the contexts of Japanese society and systems of Japanese enterprises. The expected outcome of the program is a network of potential contributors to the development of African industries who will also lead Japanese businesses to engage further in economic activities in Africa.
Target participants are from among the following three types of personnel.
- Persons from the Private Sector
Young individuals who are or will be involved in economic activities in the local private sector maintaining and developing strong ties with Japanese companies.
- Governmental Officials
Young officials, such as civil servants, who take part in governance and policy-making in order to enhance industries to whose development Japanese companies can contribute, and has a recommendation by a Japanese company.
Young individuals who are responsible for educating in Higher Education and TVET (Technical and Vocational Education and Training) institutions in Africa, in order to enhance capacity building in related industries, and has a recommendation by a Japanese company.
- Citizens of one of the 54 African countries
- Between 22 and 39 years old (as of April 1st in the year of you arrival in Japan)
- A bachelor’s degree
- Applicants from government sectors/ educators who have both of the following:
- Have adequate English proficiency, both in written and oral communication (IELTS score of over 5.5 is preferred)
- Clearly understand the objective of this program and have a strong will to contribute to the industrial development of their country while broadening and strengthening the linkage between their country and Japan
- Not currently applying or planning to apply to scholarship programs offered by other organizations
- Have good health condition, both physically and mentally, to complete the program
-At least 6 months working experience at their current organization -Permission from their current organization to apply
Application Documents for the 4th Batch
- General Information (4th Batch) (PDF/1.61MB)
- Annex 1. Guidelines for Application Form (4th Batch) (Word/144KB)
- Annex 2. Application Form (4th Batch) (Word/90.5KB)
- Annex 3. Recommendation Letter_Japanese (4th Batch) (Word/61.0KB)
- Annex 3. Recommendation Letter_English (4th Batch) (Word/39.0KB)
- Annex 4. List of Japanese Graduate Schools (Excel/74.2KB)
- Annex 5. Check List (Application documents to be submitted) (Word/27.4KB)
- Annex 6. Contact List (Word/76.5KB)
- Annex 7. List of Categories, Areas, Disciplines and Research Fields (PDF/98.7KB)
Link for further information
For more information on this opportunity, visit the official website by clicking on the link below