Duration: 364 days
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Under the direct supervision of the Speechwriter, Office of the Executive Director, the Junior Speechwriter will draft well-argued, well-researched speeches, statements, talking points, op-eds and tweets, as required, for the Executive Director (ED). The Junior Speechwriter will be required to translate politically sensitive and complex material into clear, understandable language that is accessible to a broad audience and accurately reflects the Executive Director’s ideas and the position of UNFPA.
The Junior Speechwriter will liaise with business units and individuals within UNFPA, the UN system and outside of the UN to prepare materials for the ED that are timely and relevant. S/he will have excellent writing and communication skills, including social media and internal communication experience.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in journalism, communications, political science, economics, international development, international relations, public administration or any other relevant discipline.
• At least three years of experience in high-level writing projects, especially in drafting speeches but also editorials, op-eds, and other written materials;
• Experience in digital and social media, including Twitter and online publishing;
• Excellent organizational skills and experience in managing projects within strict deadlines;
• Prior experience of working in research, policy analysis, multilateral cooperation and promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights, gender equality and women’s empowerment is strongly desired;
• Good knowledge/understanding of the UN system preferable; experience working in a multilateral organization is an asset;
• Fluency in English is required;
• Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click “Apply Now” below.