The Legatum Fellowship is a competitive program designed to help aspiring entrepreneurs gain a world class education at MIT, as well as extensive mentor and community support, in order maximize their likelihood of success as principled, impactful leaders in emerging markets. Each year we build a cohort 20-25 students dedicated to building and scaling ventures in the developing world and provide them with tuition, travel, and prototyping support, as well as access to mentors, special seminars, and other cross-campus resources.
Click here to learn more about the current 2018-2019 Fellowship cohort.
Since its founding, the Legatum Center has supported over 250 Fellows, and we take great pride and care in growing this community of entrepreneurial leaders year by year.
This Fellowship is intensely action-oriented and suits the student who is fully committed to becoming a principled leader and improving the lives of others through entrepreneurship.
- Curriculum: Through our customized educational experience, students develop practical skills for navigating complex business environments, making principled business decisions, setting and reaching venture milestones, and building and leading teams globally.
- Mentorship: We have an dedicated to helping our Fellows navigate their entrepreneurial journey at MIT. We have also built a network of domain experts and mentors to provide guidance, encouragement, and specialized advice as needed.
- Community: MIT has a rich entrepreneurial ecosystem comprised of faculty, investors, potential partners, new technologies, and both aspiring and experienced entrepreneurs. The Legatum Center serves as a community hub, helping students navigate the pockets of MIT to secure the precise expertise and resources you’ll need to optimize your entrepreneurial journey.
Financial Support: Each Fellow receives funding that can be used to support their school tuition and stipend. Students in their graduating year can access up to $50,000 for tuition; other students can access up to $25,000 with the opportunity for follow on funding in subsequent years. Fellows also receive grants to support travel to emerging markets during the summer and winter breaks in order to build professional relationships, conduct primary market research, test prototypes, or run pilot studies.
In order to be eligible for the Fellowship, applicants must either be:
- A current MIT Student who will still be enrolled for the year-long duration of the fellowship
- Admitted to begin a (full-time) degree program at MIT in the fall semester of the coming academic year
Legatum Fellows are expected to be fully engaged participants in the Legatum Center community. Expectations include:
- Completion of a for-credit management seminar that focuses specifically on the challenges and opportunities for entrepreneurs in the developing world
- Completion of one additional MIT course related to entrepreneurial leadership development
- At least one trip to the intended country of implementation to either conduct primary market research, test a prototype, or pilot the business model
- Participation in peer-to-peer training sessions
- Demonstrated willingness to learn and adapt the venture as necessary
- Participation in pitch events at the end of each semester
- Regular check-in meetings with the Legatum Center staff
- Participation in MIT’s entrepreneurial ecosystem through student-organized clubs and conferences
- Commitment to being an entrepreneurial leader in a developing country post-graduation
We are looking for principled, innovative leaders who have a track record for driving change and can demonstrate a commitment to improving lives in the developing world.
The ideal candidate will bring a deep level of know-how to his or her venture (whether related to a technical field, geographic area and/or industry sector) and thus have a competitive edge to lead their venture to success.
Ultimately, we are looking for self-motivated visionaries who are also dedicated to experimenting, learning, and growing in order to maximize their entrepreneurial success and impact over the course of their career.
For more information about this opportunity and to apply, visit the official website here