19 leading German enterprises founded the initiative AFRIKA KOMMT! in the year 2008 – the very first joint initiative for capacity building by German industry. After the success of the first five programme intakes and the sixth AFRIKA KOMMT! intake still in process, the seventh AFRIKA KOMMT! intake will follow on seamlessly with the application phase starting 05 December 2017.
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme is an eight-months practical training in a leading German enterprise benefiting both, fellows and partner companies – a classic win-win situation: The programme fellows benefit through gaining first-hand practical experience in a leading German enterprise, being exposed to leadership concepts and management techniques in practice, becoming acquainted with working processes and business culture in German enterprises, extending their international management competencies and initiating networks of cooperation partners between Sub-Saharan Africa and German companies
Financed by the German partner companies, the capacity development programme AFRIKA KOMMT! consists of the following key components:
- One-month individual German language preparation course
- One-year stay in Germany comprising of:
- Two-months intensive German language course
- Eight-months internship in a German partner company
- Three one-week training modules on international management and leadership competencies
- One-week study tour in Germany on relevant subjects, e.g. “Digital Change”
- Weekend seminars on cultural and social subjects organised by the Robert Bosch Stiftung in Stuttgart and the ZEIT-Stiftung Ebelin und Gerd Bucerius in Hamburg
- Cultural weekend activities organised by GIZ
- Transfer phase after the stay in Germany via GIZ’s online platform Global Campus 21 and integration into the AFRIKA KOMMT! Alumni Network and its regional Alumni Clubs
- Refresher course in Germany or Africa, approx. 6-12 months after the stay in Germany, offering the former fellows to extend their networks with other alumni and to mutually benefit from their experiences.
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme includes:
An individual German language course before departure to Germany
An intensive German language course in Germany including fees, accommodation and living allowance
Travelling expenses – Flights, Visa, etc and programme-related travelling expenses in Germany Monthly living allowance during the theoretical phase
Monthly living allowance of € 750,- (August, September and October 2018; July 2019)
A one-off relocation fee of € 1.000,- for settling back into the home countries
Monthly salary during the internship in the companies of approx. € 1.500,- gross
Accommodation during all stages of the programme in Germany (including internet allowance, electricity, water and other charges)
Insurance Health, accident and liability insurance
Training: International management training courses
Study tour and weekend seminars in Germany Alumni activities
Refresher course in Germany or Africa, including management training
Alumni networking activities
Certificates of completion
Candidates need to fulfil the following formal eligibility requirements:
- University degree in a relevant subject (please see individual company profiles below)
- Postgraduate degree (e.g. MBA) is an advantage
- Two to five years of relevant work experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Basic knowledge of the German language is an advantage
- Not older than 35 years and physically fit
- Female candidates are welcome
The AFRIKA KOMMT! fellowship programme aims at highly qualified, self-driven young professionals and junior executives from Sub-Saharan Africa with several years of hands-on work experience, strong leadership qualities and a very high level of commitment and dedication. Besides the specific technical expertise relevant to the partner company, the programme requires candidates to have the following set of general skills and attributes:
Language and communication skills:
Excellent English skills
Strong oral and written communication skills
High willingness to learn German Professional skills:
High leadership potential
Strong self-motivation and self-starter mentality
High level of dedication, commitment and target-orientation
Strong capacity for teamwork Personal attributes:
High level of enthusiasm, flexibility and resilience
Outstanding intercultural competencies
Ability to adapt to new environments quickly
Before you apply, please read the application requirements carefully. You will find all necessary information in the application guide: application guide.
If you want to apply please make sure you follow the four steps listed below:
Step 1: Check the general candidate requirements – do you fit the criteria?
Step 2: Check the available placements and required profiles – Please remember you are applying for the programme in general, not for a specific placement.
Step 3: Visit www.afrika-kommt.de and fill in the application form in English.
Step 4: Submit your application BEFORE T 11.01.2019.
For more information about this opportunity, visit the official website for the fellowship by following the link below: