Are you a young journalist interested in the Arab world? Are you working in the Middle East or North Africa? Do you already have a great idea for a long-read feature in mind? And you would like to try a new format combing text, photo and video elements for a multimedia story? Then, this is your chance to apply for the zenith Reporting Grant 2019 which is sponsored by zenith Magazine, the Candid Foundation and alumni of the Herbert Quandt Foundation.
From their own experience, they know how hard it is to tell a great story in detail amid the daily scheduling pressures in journalism. They also know how rare the opportunities are for young journalists to work intensively on a topic for several days or even weeks. Even more so, when the resulting work is not the stuff for the latest breaking news contest, but rather an in-depth feature challenging readers.
The zenith Reporting Grant 2019 wants to fill this void and help to promote in-depth journalism.
They support three journalistic research projects with a maximum amount of 2000 Euro each.
- Journalists who are not older than 32 years and who live and work as journalists in one of the following countries are eligible to participate: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Sudan, Djibouti, Somalia, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Qatar and Mauritania.
- Neither nationality nor employment status play a role in the selection of winners. Teams of two or more journalists are welcome to apply as well. In this case, funding must be shared among the applicants.
- If applicants meet the criteria then please answer the following three questions in German, English or Arabic:
- What is the story applicants want to research? In which way do they want to present it? And why do they think they are the right person to receive the “zenith Reporting Grant 2019”? (max. 500 words)
- How much is the budget that applicants need for their report? On what exactly do they plan to spend it? (max. 100 words)
- Name three published pieces that applicants are particularly proud of.
How to Apply
- Applicants can send their answers, as well as their curriculum vitae (CV) in tabular form in a single PDF document attached to an e-mail address given on the website.
- If applicants work on a fixed contract, we also require a written confirmation from their employer allowing they to pursue the research and exclusive publication of the funded feature by zenith Magazine in printed and digital form.
For more information, please visit zenith Reporting Grant 2019 here.