For over a century, Peking University has been the foremost domestic academic setting for understanding China. It has facilitated the work of many generations of scholars, in the pursuit of a more nuanced and complete understanding of China in diverse fields like history, science, economics, and literature. Its students have left its halls to spread this understanding, achieving international success and acclaim in commerce, art, academia, and politics.
In 2014, Peking University founded the Yenching Academy, inviting a global cohort of scholars into this unique intellectual environment. Yenching Academy provides a rigorous Master’s program for the multidisciplinary study of China, with the hope of cultivating a new generation of global leaders. The third cohort of 100 Scholars, hailing from over 40 countries, have the opportunity to immerse themselves in China and analyze it from a variety of perspectives.
The Academy’s flagship event, the Yenching Global Symposium (YGS), is a continuation of this mission. Hosted on the Peking University campus every spring, the three-day event is comprised of engaging lectures, panel discussions, and interactive sessions about China’s impact on the world and the influence that the world has on China. Each year, the Symposium features prominent Chinese and international scholars, along with leading professionals from a wide range of fields. These leaders of today will share their insights with their potential counterparts: 200 students and young professionals from around the world with a noted passion for China in their work and research.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in any field;
- Strong interest in learning about China and engaging in nuanced, interdisciplinary discussions which address critical societal issues relating to China;
- Available for the entirety of the conference, March 29-31st 2019 (and available for any required travel time to and from Beijing);
- Have not attended any of the previous Yenching Global Symposiums or Yenching Social Innovation Forums;
- English Proficiency;
- Leadership potential;
- Bonus: Involvement in China-related activities – academic, voluntary, professional, extra-curricular.
Applications are highly competitive; we will only consider applicants who meet all the eligibility criteria and whose submissions are fully completed.
TIPS FOR APPLICATION
- Please save your responses on a word document for your reference. Drafts will not be saved. Please only submit the full application when all responses are filled;
- Your responses should be maximum of 200 words, and responses fewer than 100 words will not be considered competitive;
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. It is in your best interest to submit your application as soon as possible;
- Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted;
- If English is not your first language or you have not graduated from an English-taught program, please provide IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge or CEFR scores. Applicants who do not have IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge or CEFR scores should provide a description of other English proficiency experience.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, visit the official website for the 2018 Yenching Social Innovation Forum here.