For over a century, Peking University has been the foremost domestic academic setting for understanding China. It has facilitated the work of many generations of scholars, in the pursuit of a more nuanced and complete understanding of China in diverse fields like history, science, economics, and literature. Its students have left its halls to spread this understanding, achieving international success and acclaim in commerce, art, academia, and politics.
In 2014, Peking University founded the Yenching Academy, inviting a global cohort of scholars into this unique intellectual environment. Yenching Academy provides a rigorous Master’s program for the multidisciplinary study of China, with the hope of cultivating a new generation of global leaders. The third cohort of 100 Scholars, hailing from over 40 countries, have the opportunity to immerse themselves in China and analyze it from a variety of perspectives.
The Academy’s flagship event, the Yenching Global Symposium (YGS), is a continuation of this mission. Hosted on the Peking University campus every spring, the three-day event is comprised of engaging lectures, panel discussions, and interactive sessions about China’s impact on the world and the influence that the world has on China. Each year, the Symposium features prominent Chinese and international scholars, along with leading professionals from a wide range of fields. These leaders of today will share their insights with their potential counterparts: 200 students and young professionals from around the world with a noted passion for China in their work and research.
Yenching Academy welcome applications from anyone with strong leadership potential ready to participate in nuanced interdisciplinary discussions on questions surrounding China and global sustainability who meets the following criteria:
- Born after January 1, 1990
- Possesses, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree in any field, at the time of application
- Is available for the entirety of the conference, March 27 – 29, 2020 (and any required travel time to and from Beijing)
- Has not participated in a previous Yenching Global Symposium or Yenching Social Innovation Forum
- Is proficient in English
- Holds a valid passport which does not expire within 6 months from February 2020
- Bonus: Has participated in China-related activities – academic, voluntary, professional, or extracurricular
- Yenching Academy offers ambitious graduate students and young professionals from around the world the opportunity to come to China and be inspired by:
- a diverse body of global scholars from leading universities;
- practitioners from a wide range of fields including art, history, culture, innovation, politics, and business;
- speakers from renowned universities, enterprises, and international organizations.
- The Symposium is a platform for connecting leaders on China, across generations and across disciplines. It will help connect you with inspiring, like-minded peers as well as leading experts who share your interest in China. These interactions will take place at Peking University, China’s top university.
- As a delegate, you will have the opportunity to share your experiences with innovation while collaborating with others to generate fruitful exchange and construct frameworks for action on China’s most challenging issues.
- Finally, Yenching Academy covers all expenses of your round-trip flight, accommodation, and meals for the duration of the Symposium. However, they do not cover the cost of your visa.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, visit the official website here.