Apply for American Refugee Committee International Volunteer Opportunities
26 Jan, 2018
About the American Refugee Committee
The American Refugee Committee (ARC) is an international nonprofit, nonsectarian organization that has provided humanitarian assistance and training to millions of beneficiaries over the last 30 years.
In 2011, ARC helped nearly 2.5 million people get essential services to regain their health and take back control of their lives. ARC works with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to communities of refugees and internally displaced persons in several countries in Africa, Asia and Europe and in Haiti. ARC provides shelter, clean water and sanitation, health care, skills training, microcredit education, protection to help survivors of war and natural disasters to rebuild their lives with dignity, health care, security and self-sufficiency.
- You live overseas and are interested in volunteering at one of ARC’s national offices and/or
- If you are interested in volunteering in a country other than your own
ARC accepts applications for volunteer/intern positions at its overseas locations. The organization seeks individuals for these opportunities that are able to provide a specific skill which it cannot find in the local population it is serving. Examples of these skills include proposal writing, program development, grant reporting, program management, medicine, engineering, and business development, among others.
While the organization appreciates the generosity of individuals who are willing to volunteer their time providing basic assistance (handing out food, preparing materials for distribution, basic office work), it often hire refugees in the countries where it is working to carry out these important jobs. This provides an income to a family who is greatly in need.
What to know about international opportunities:
- A volunteer/intern should be available for a minimum of 4 months, but ideally 6 months.
- Volunteers/interns generally must be partially self-funded.
- This means that you must be able to cover the cost of travel to and from the country where you work.
- You must also cover the cost of, and provide proof of health insurance for the duration of your assignment.
- Please note: some past volunteers have been able to cover these costs through sponsorship from a community organization or an academic grant.
- ARC can usually provide group housing and a small living expense stipend.
Please submit your resume and contact information by clicking “Apply Now.”
Note: ARC regularly reviews applications that we receive for international opportunities. While we are not able to place everyone, we would love to hear from you and start the conversation.
For more career opportunities at American Refugee Committee, follow the link below: